About Me

Friday, January 17, 2020

Going Back To School As An Adult

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself...other than I really want to accomplish this before I get too old!! I am an LPN...have been for 30+ years...and have had good intentions of returning to school to earn my RN degree for a long time....(I mean, a LONG time). I have been trying off and on for many years...so many times as a matter of fact, that I have to keep repeating my Science classes...since they expire every 5 years.

So here we are again! Microbiology...one more time!! I chose something called a "mixed-mode" this time...where the lecture part is online, but I still have to go to the campus for the lab portion; but that's okay...I can dig it.

My biggest stressor is not usually the class itself, but all the expense involved for books, supplies and equipment. I can use financial aide for these things as long as I use the bookstore on campus, or one of the outlying bookstores affiliated with the college. I have a different theory, of course...so I can not only save money, but get something back in return!!

I need safety glasses and disposable lab coats for Micro lab...so I decided to get them online through Amazon...because not only can I get more for my money (both come in packs of 10)...but I can use my Rakuten/Ebates app on my phone to order...and get 5% cash back on my order!! Why do I need a 10-pack...because I am taking Anatomy/Physiology 2 in a few months, and I will need the same things for that lab!! And they require students to have two of each in lab anyway...in case something happens, so there is a back up. And whatever is leftover...I'll pay it forward, simple as that.

I also am required to sign on and join an online learning site for the lecture portion of my class...which also requires paying for an "access code"...ridiculous, right? So I went on Amazon again...to look for it...and they do have it...just the access code key; which will be added to my order with the lab coats and safety glasses!! I am not planning on spending money on a hard copy textbook, if we have to use the online learning site anyway...which basically "is" the textbook, just online.

So, my theory is that the less financial aide I use to buy all this "stuff" at much higher prices than necessary...the more I'll get refunded to me later!! And I'll get cash back on top of that if I order them through Amazon using my Rakuten/Ebates app. I think this is going to work out just fine!! Let's hope this is the last time I have to take this class, and I get this done once an for all!!

This is my year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment