About Me

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Tried and True...Old and New

So the New Year has arrived...in all it's glory, whether we are ready or not!! (as usual, it sneaks up on us). I did not make any "New Year's Resolutions", because it seems I have been working on ideas and honing desires for overall improving my life already!! As it always is, in theory, it sounds good, but can I actually make it, (or them), happen? Well...I hope so. Hope keeps the dreams alive. Hope is "tried and true". It comes from Faith, contemplation, positive thinking...and many other means of reinforcing what we want to change in our lives. 

We hear over and over again..."i hope this year is better than last"...and I am guilty as well. No matter how much we intend to create a better, more improved version of "us" or "them" or "it"...somehow the plan doesn't completely manifest as we had "hoped"; but not to worry...that's what we all call "life". Still..."don't give up Hope". One of the doctrines or philosophies of Daoism, is to let things flow normally, and don't resist or fight them. I don't think that means to be complacent and have the attitude "I can't do anything about it" or "it is what it is"...but I do believe it refers to those things we cannot control...for humans do not like when they are not in control. 

I have taken the school of thought, (my own school of thought, of course)...that some things I desire will actually happen when I stop obsessing or worrying over them. I feel like I sabotage myself when I do that, because I fill my brain with those thoughts so much, it leaves little room for other amazing things to happen. I do believe that being open to positivity and creativity automatically brings "positive" change to our lives, therefore; the "positive" things we desire will somehow find their way into our lives. Successful people always tell us to find something we love or have a passion for, and pursue it with fervor. I think this works, and I am still trying to find out how to make that happen (as I scratch my head and say "hmmmm"); because as I said, I don't want to "obsess" over something for fear of missing out on so much more!! Ugh!! 

On the other hand, when there is a goal we are trying to reach, sometimes we do have to "focus" temporarily in order to make it happen...I get that, I do. So I am trying to find that balance between "focus"...but not to the point of becoming "obsessed". No wonder humans are so stressed all the time!! Now in the midst of trying to "de-stress"...I suddenly feel "stressed" again. 

Perhaps the answer lies in one or two goals at a time...even if it's hard not to jump into several ambitions or interests at one time...then becoming overwhelmed. We've heard that before...and it seems good advice...right? So I guess my goals and ambitions will remain as they are...finishing school, losing weight, becoming more financially sound...the normal goals many have; but I am adding a few...more tolerable, more forgiving, more diverse, less stifled, more open to new things...and the list goes on. 

Change is inevitable, happening all around us. Some changes are hard, we don't like change. Today's society is more technology oriented than "people oriented"...so we don't get to interact with actual people as much as we used to. I personally find this a little intimidating...so I take advantage of acknowledging others out in public, at work, or around the neighborhood. Working the graveyard shift as I do, my exposure to "people" on an every day basis is limited anyway, so one of my "other" goals is to get out more!! (but unfortunately, it gets a little "too peopley" out there sometimes!! (smile).

I do love my smart phone, and smart tv just like the next person. There is something to be said about snapping a picture and being able to share it right then and there! It is a cool way for friends and family to keep up with what you are up to...(good, bad or indifferent). I like learning about "new" apps...my latest are anything to do with cash back rewards, rebates, or points to save me money (I justify them by convincing myself it's all towards "financial security")..."whatever"...it's fun anyway. Remember what I said about "obsession"?...I must control myself for sure...I can see myself easily getting carried away with it. I can honestly say that at least I am not at the point of having my phone attached to me 24/7...like so many do. I really don't want to be like that. I still like my quiet time...with the occasional plain, simple, no frills...radio playing in the background!!

My hopes for the New Year are health, happiness and prosperity...(notice I placed "health and happiness" before prosperity)...Happy New Year to all...may blessings abound!




No comments:

Post a Comment