About Me

Saturday, July 29, 2023

Chemotherapy, Medications and Supplements

A few weeks after my initial surgery, I had an implanted port placed to receive chemotherapy. The drugs I was given were Taxol and Carboplatin. I had treatments every three weeks for 6 months. Even with some anxiety, the team at the Cancer Center was awesome. I never had to take anything for pain or nerves. Prior to the actual chemotherapy, they loaded me up with anti-nausea, steroids, anti-histamine and anti-reflux medications; so I really had no issues. The worst part was some bone pain and slight "restless" feeling in my legs occasionally. The pain was not intolerable, but I researched common ways to deal with it all over social media and within a support group I had joined. I did take vitamin B complex with a supplement that contained ALA (alpha-lopoic acid). I chose to get my ALA in an oil like Hemp Seed or Flax Seed. The combination of vitamin B complex and the oil with ALA seemed to help ease the discomfort to a more tolerable level. I really didn't want to get on any other prescriptions like Neurontin or Oxycodone; I already was taking Eliquis after surgery as a preventative for blood clots(I didn't have to stay on it thankfully). 

    I was out for an extended period of time after surgery, about 10 weeks altogether. It was during that time I made the decision to not return to my current job, and start looking elsewhere. As mentioned in the previous post, I went back to work wearing scarves and turbans due to losing my hair with chemo. It took about two weeks in before it began falling out in clumps; so my daughter shaved it all off. I think that was more traumatic than the actual diagnosis of cancer or the surgery! 

    I had to learn how to wrap the scarves so they wouldn't fall off and leave me devastated in public. I even wore them at home for awhile, because passing the mirror and seeing my reflection just made me cry. It was a battle within myself because everyone kept telling me how beautiful I was even with no hair. 

    Along with chemotherapy, I wanted to continue taking my vitamins and supplements. I did a lot of reading, talked to my providers...to make sure it wouldn't interact with the chemotherapy. Mainly I continued my multivitamins; but I did add in things like Glucosamine, Tumeric and extra vitamin B, C, D or Zinc when I thought I needed it. It may have been more mindset over anything...but it's something I had done before anyway...so why not? One supplement I had never heard of was Quercitin. I learned about it in my endless web surfing and Google searches, then I also read about it in the support group I was in for Ovarian Cancer. That was validation enough for me...I figured if it kept popping up in a few sources, there "may" be some encouraging findings about it. We all know how important anti-oxidants are, we've been hearing about it for years. Quercitin is naturally found in vegetables and fruit, but we don't get enough in our diets. This supplement apparently has shown some affect on those nasty free radicals (but of course further studies are needed). I figured it was something already found in our foods, so what harm can it do?-so I do take it mostly every day. I try not to over-do it with any of my supplements. I take them regularly, and extra now and then...but also give myself a break from them occasionally. 

    Once I finished chemotherapy, I was started on Lynparza. This is the medication that is supposed put and keep me in remission. I am still learning exactly how it does this, even as a nurse, it is a little above my understanding. My doctor picked this from her research showing that it is particularly affective with my type of cancer...and genetic testing was done to ensure it was the right choice. I have to stay on it for about a year. It is an expensive medication as many are, but somehow between my doctor, the company I work for and this Optum Specialty Pharmacy...I have no co-pay or cost at the moment. I am not sure how that works either, but I am forever grateful. The last thing anyone needs while battling cancer is unaffordable cost of a medication that can potentially give you more years to live. (That's a whole new blog...right?)!

    I am doing okay so far...no side affects from the Lynparza either. When it's done, I may be a little apprehensive...as it is sort of like a security blanket for me now. In the meantime, I continue to follow up with the doctors, get my lab work done...and keep moving forward. 

Tomorrow is not promised to us...so we do what we can. 


    

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment