About Me

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

 

    It's already been a couple weeks since I wrote...my goodness, how fast time goes by when you don't pay attention. My sister sent me a few more things recently, one being this neat t-shirt with my birth year on it. I thought about the different interpretations it could have. I suppose I am considered vintage in some ways. I still get confused about what exactly I am; "boomer", "middle age", "silver generation"....and so on. Oh, and let's not forget that "60 is the new 40"! I do believe society in general is trying to be healthier; looking for ways to eat better, supplements to take, finding exercise that fits their lifestyle, etc. I can relate after dealing with the life-changing event of having cancer. I am nurse and I work 12-hour shifts, so I do consider those nights my exercise! (at least for those days). The other days, I am really trying to do something, even if it's a "little" something. I do have a pool, and that is helpful for days when it's not raining. The weather here in South Carolina stays hot for a long time usually, so I do have an extended pool season. There has been more rain than usual and some weird weather like everywhere else in the world, but I have managed to get some pool time in regardless. The biggest challenge with that has been keeping it clean and the chemicals balanced. I got rid of my pool service when I was out on medical leave to save money. Google, You Tube and Tik Toc have been my resources! 


I was watching some videos on You Tube from successful strategies, motivational people, and general uplifting information...and the main thing I heard several times is that if you want to learn something, "google it" or go on You Tube. I imagine it's true, it certainly has taught me a few things. I suppose caution should be taken to make sure it's adequate and credible information, so I am "choosey" when watching. I've learned that information comes in waves and fads just like that latest "anything"...so sometimes I will see several people posting same information with their own twist on it. 

    In earlier years, if I wanted to learn something...I read books. I felt like if I read several different materials about a particular subject, and saw a recurring theme in many of them, then they must be true! I surely do not depend on social media to be my learning sources in general, but a small percentage can't hurt, right? I usually utilize a combination of social media, audiobooks, real people and real books. This seems to work for me, so I don't get sucked into a rabbit hole with only one source of information. Recently I decided to look into going back to school. One of the Technical Colleges locally is claiming to offer "free tuition" for a good number of degrees and certificates. I am not sure what the catch is, or if there is one...but I am checking into it (why not?)! They say to never stop learning. My theory is to be able to get off the floor and out of the hallways with my nursing career. I am tired of running the halls. I'd like to do something different and perhaps more specialized. 

    I think with Covid back on the rise again, I really want to get out of the hospital. I am already wearing my mask again and ordering plenty of vitamin C and Zinc; along with lots of other supplements to add to my routine of "trying to stay healthy" vs. "trying to get healthy". I must admit being worried a little about it, but what's going to happen is going to regardless, so I need to be ready. I have been paying more attention to how much of our foods have additives and preservatives as well. I can't avoid all of them, but I can certainly make better choices with much of it. I am making changes where I can for now. When I am ready, I will pick another area or two to work on! That's it for now! Peace!

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment