About Me

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Wow, Fall Has Arrived!

 

It's been a while since I posted. I guess I just got busy with work, school and everyday life! Autumn brings pumpkin spice, Bailey's Irish Creme and sweater weather. I do enjoy it, but not as much as summertime when I can be in the pool and out in the yard. It's not quite cold enough for the fireplace, but that is a positive in the cooler weather. I say the same thing every year, "where did the time go"? It's going to be Christmas before we know it! 


I did start back at school, and it is going well so far. I am not quite sure what exactly I will do when finished as having a BSN in nursing does not seem to warrant that much of a difference in career opportunities, but I will see. It's just something I decided to do for myself. I got some really good discounts with being a Veteran as well as the school partnering with my current employer, so why not? 

My health is doing well. I got my implanted port removed this week, have seen one doctor and am going to see another this week. I can't say that I am not worried about the cancer recurring, but I will hold out hope that at least it will stay at bay long enough for me to finish school and get my affairs in order so that I do not leave a lot of unfinished business for my kids to sort out. I have not been a good planner for the unexpected, so now I am trying to make up for lost time. It won't happen overnight, but perhaps within a few years, I hope. 

I get discouraged when I see people who are seemingly healthier than me, dying of cancer and other illnesses. It is especially saddening when they are what I consider too young to die. It makes me question whether or not I am doing what I should be in order to optimize my health. I could do more, but I feel like any changes I make should have a positive impact regardless of if I change my entire lifestyle or not. I do not want to stress over every little aspect of my life, but I will focus on a few areas that I am willing to change at the moment. I won't be that person that gets on a soapbox talking about how to cure cancer by any means. I don't even know if it will stay away at this point. I also don't want to be that person that feels sorry for myself and gives up. Keeping a positive mindset is what helps me maintain right now. Making healthier choices with food and taking vitamins and supplements, within reason and doable, is part of my regimen now. Those are just personal choices I made that I felt like were attainable and realistic. I am working on exercising more and to quit smoking eventually. One step at a time! "A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with One Step"...is a saying I had on a ring one time, and I love it. I have no idea who said it or where it came from, but it has stayed with me for a long time. I have since given that ring to a friend who was venturing out on a career change, and I told her to pay it forward and share it with someone else or return it to me at some time when our paths cross again. 

The impact we have on others comes back around to us. Feeling good about our actions towards someone else can make us more fulfilled and not so focused on our own problems. Even if our own lives do not turn out the way we would like, we can go to our graves feeling like we practiced even a little bit of love, kindness and gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment