About Me

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Spring Is Almost Here!

 

    I was reflecting on this time of year last year. My hair was beginning to grow back after chemotherapy, but I was still wearing scarves and hats. While on chemo I could not be out in the sun as much as I was used to. I am definitely looking forward to being out there this year. I tried to rake up some leaves today and I got tired relatively fast. I've determined it is due to lack of activity like so many in the colder months during winter. I put on some weight as well between working night shift and studying on my off days for my BSN (Bachelors of Science in Nursing). It is all excuses, I know! 

    Hopefully I can buckle down with the warmer weather and do what I know I need to do! Getting out in the yard more will help. I do enjoy yardwork, gardening, and playing in the dirt! I am a novice gardener, though! I find myself Googling my growing zone and trying to find out what interesting plants and shrubs will thrive in my yard. Charleston Horticultural Society has been a good place to find out native plants, shrubs, and trees that grow well here in South Carolina (Charleston Horticultural Society (chashortsoc.org)

Charleston Horticultural Society actually recommends finding local plants and shrubs while walking in the woods or around the neighborhood and just grabbing a clipping of them. I haven't tried my hand at growing much from clippings yet. 

    


     Most of my luck has been with wildflower seeds. I did have some pretty sunflowers last year! I still don't know if they are the type of flower that will come back every year, but I hope so! The biggest mistake I made was getting over-zealous about planting. I bought all kinds of seeds and just went crazy planting them everywhere. When some of them did well, others did not; then I had to deal with the sporadic flowers popping up in different places with no design or plan. I have good intentions of planting specific colors and styles of flowers in strategic places to create a pretty garden, but so far, I haven't been very successful. I try to convince my daughter that it is a work in progress. She doesn't think the same way I do! To her, it's just a big mess, but it's my mess! LOL! 

    I am already thinking about when I can get to the Home Depot and Lowe's to buy my garden and potting soil! I saved all my pots from last year too, so I am going to have a good time playing this year! My problem is I have no self-control! I tend to go a little crazy as I mentioned. 

    My theory is if I start planning now, I can come up with a design and layout in time for spring planting. I am determined to do it myself (with trial and error, of course). I have learned from my mistakes! I also learned that mixing peat moss with soil helps the seeds and plants grow better! 

    I did manage to buy a Crepe Myrtle Tree last year, and that actually seems to be doing well which is exciting. Living in the south I assume that fruit trees will grow well, but I haven't had as much luck with those! My sister sent me some baby Tea Olive trees and they were doing pretty good, other than the occasional trampling from my grandson or the accidental mow over by my daughter! LOL!

    


     We have a huge Maple tree in the front between our home and the neighbor's home. The leaves are bigger than my head! I have always stood strong in the idea of having trees in my yard. I like the birds and squirrels (when the cats aren't chasing them). With trees comes the hassle of raking leaves in the fall and winter. I didn't do as well this year getting out there regularly, but with spring arriving, I am sure I will be busy catching up. I am thinking of it as creating a canvas for my work of art! LOL! 

    I am grateful for the warm weather coming so I can get out of this funk! I am guilty as the next person laying around, binge watching tv shows, eating too much, and making all sorts of excuses to procrastinate. At least I did go back to school over the winter, so it wasn't a total loss. I still ate too much and sat around more than I should have. I know better! Going back to school was good for my brain, though! 

HAPPY SPRING EVERYONE!



No comments:

Post a Comment