About Me

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Moving Forward!

 

Well, I am in my final week of school for my Bachelors of Science Degree in nursing. I can't say it was on my bucket list of "things to do before I die", but it did seem like a commonsense thing to do. I am sure it will open up other possibilities that may not have been available to me as an associate degree RN. I am not necessarily in the market or looking for something else, but I often find myself questioning whether or not I want to continue bedside nursing. I am in my 60's, and though nursing has been a great way to earn a living, I must begin thinking about what to do in my "later years". All those aches and pains from 30+ years of bedside nursing both as a Licensed Practical Nurse and a Registered Nurse, make me contemplate an alternative career path! 

I will say that I enjoyed my classes for the most part. A Bachelor level education is certainly different from what I have been accustomed to between LPN school and RN school, both from technical colleges. It's an education on transitioning into leadership, research, policy, and so much more. The most fascinating part of it, is now, any education I seek from here on out, is considered "graduate" level education. Wow! I think LPN and associate degree RN programs, especially from technical colleges, prepare nurses for the workforce from the clinical aspect and hands on work that nurses do every day. The bachelor's level and beyond, focus more on all those things that have an effect on those nurses working at their jobs every day, from managerial issues, financial issues, policy issues, global and public health issues, and research, of course. 

At least having been a licensed practical nurse, then an associate degree nurse, and now a bachelor degree nurse, I can see things from different perspectives. I understand what my managers go through, I understand how finances affect our jobs, I understand how policies and practices are made and changed. One of the main focuses of the program I attended is how to become a "change agent". It gave me a lot to think about, at least. Even if I don't have any immediate plans as to what I am going to do next, I have some new knowledge and skills to take with me when I do know what I want to do when I grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment